Article Comparison - International Cocoa Agreement
1. The exporting Members shall together hold 1,000 votes and the importing Members shall together hold 1,000 votes, distributed within each category of Members – that is, exporting and importing Members, respectively – in accordance with the following paragraphs of this article.
2. For each cocoa year, the votes of exporting Members shall be distributed as follows: each exporting Member shall have five basic votes. The remaining votes shall be divided among all the exporting Members in proportion to the average volume of their respective exports of cocoa in the preceding three cocoa years for which data have been published by the Organization in its latest issue of the Quarterly Bulletin of Cocoa Statistics. For this purpose, exports shall be calculated as net exports of cocoa beans plus net exports of cocoa products, converted to beans equivalent using the conversion factors as specified in article 41.
3. For each cocoa year, the votes of importing Members shall be distributed as follows: 100 shall be divided equally to the nearest whole vote for each Member. The remaining votes shall be distributed on the basis of the percentage which the average of each importing Member’s annual imports, in the preceding three cocoa years for which final figures are available in the Organization, represents in the total of the averages for all the importing Members. For this purpose, imports shall be calculated as net imports of cocoa beans plus gross imports of cocoa products, converted to beans equivalent using the conversion factors as specified in article 41.
4. If, for any reason, difficulties should arise in the determination or the updating of the statistical basis for the calculation of votes in accordance with the provisions of paragraphs 2 and 3 of this article, the Council may, by special vote, decide on a different statistical basis for the calculation of votes.
5. No Member shall have more than 400 votes. Any votes above this figure arising from the calculations in paragraphs 2, 3 and 4 of this article shall be redistributed among the other Members on the basis of those paragraphs.
6. When the membership in the Organization changes or when the voting rights of a Member are suspended or restored under any provision of this Agreement, the Council shall provide for the redistribution of votes in accordance with this article.
7. There shall be no fractional votes.